Mid-term fever.

For the midterms, Jeff did a thing with his randomizer bot (Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain! ) and I was paired with the mighty Shu-Ju!

For our first meeting, we spoke about what we liked, enjoyed and wanted for our project. We both agreed that we need to make something which involved some fabrication as we had not done any of it till that point. We also spoke of our love for TeamLab and how we enjoy data turning into Art. But for Halloween, we both agreed (It was a pretty agreeable meeting!) that we both wanted to make something which was highly interactive and involved multiple people playing together. (It’s a people festival, after all!) One of the ideas that emerged was a wand-duel game recreating the Harry Potter-Voldemort face-off in Goblet of the Fire. It would look something like this:

IMG_20181101_104415.jpg

Two players would grasp the 2 ends and the middle section will fill up with light which gets more intense with vibration and the brightness of the LEDs. The first person to let go off the wand loses!

We decided to head our way and think of more 2,3 or multiplayer games and meet again in a couple of days. Once we came back together and started finalizing the idea, we threw across ideas to each other but nothing seemed to stick. Shu-ju mentioned how everyone was doing scary things and it would be fun to just do a happy candy dispenser. We left the idea behind and started thinking of something else to do.

IMG_20181101_110830.jpg

During a break in our brainstorming session, We started talking about weird and funny interactive objects and Shu-ju showed me this video: https://vimeo.com/52555492. We both were laughing through the whole thing and realised that we could actually incorporate softness in our Physical computing project and the idea of a candy dispenser that needed to be played with emerged.

We thought of a candy machine which dispenses candy only if you press it nicely. If you press it too hard, it gets cross, shrivels back and refuses to dispense any candy.

(It’s quite interesting to see how the final idea did not veer too much from the first sketches.)

Now that we had an initial concept in mind, we quickly realised that the sensor was the hard part. One idea was to put a force sensor inside a soft material and call it a day but we were not very happy with it. It felt like a cheap way out and we spent a day without moving ahead. Thankfully, Shu-ju was sitting next to one of the residents, Lola who had worked with silicon and using air pressure to measure intensity for her work in soft interfaces. (Wish, universe, law of attraction yada yada). We quickly booked an office hour with Lola and she gave us everything on a platter. What we needed to do, how to do it, plenty of encouragement and a loan of her sensors so that we could get started asap. Since we were still figuring out how to work with silicon, We raided the junk shop and found a discarded silicon tube. The thing was gunky, dirty and full of holes but a bad repair job with some hot silicon, we had a dirty sensor which looked like a dismembered finger (hey! it’s the flavor of the season) but it worked well for us to start coding.

IMG_20181020_204649.jpg

Looks so gross, works so fine!

The lighting of the LED went on without a hitch and using an MAX7219 IC reduced the number of wires into the arduino to free up spaces for more wires.

IMG_20181020_210356.jpg

This was trivial!

We were feeling pretty good about our progress as our temporary sensor and led array worked and it let us program the logic of the candy dispenser based on difference in pressure through the air pressure transducer (MPX5010 for life!) and we started our foray into making the actual air pressure sensor. We first 3-d printed a shape and then fashioned a cover to create the negative space for the air-pocket.

 Shu-ju bubbling up some silicon tea! (Notice the upturned lid? See how big it is? That caused the first skin to be fragile and a total loss)

Shu-ju bubbling up some silicon tea! (Notice the upturned lid? See how big it is? That caused the first skin to be fragile and a total loss)

 Yasssssss!

Yasssssss!

We printed a total of 3 times as we kept getting the wall thickness wrong. Each wrong silicon experiment set us back by 12 hours (considering the 3d-printing and curing time) and we lost a lot of time but we finally got it right and it felt so nice to squish it!

Once we had everything, Shu-ju quickly put together and enclosure and I got to work on the final coding and assembly. We had thought the structure through during the never-ending wait for our silicon sensor we really didn’t face any issue while putting it together. (Touchwood!)

The sound, mechanism for the candy dispenser and everything else fell together really well and we thought we were at the finish line all high and dry!

Or so we thought…

Because Murphy came visiting at the last moment and the nose broke with the sensor ruining the circuit (broken pins et all!) and we had to hastily put it back together at the last moment before the final presentation (Panic and duct tapes are a match made in heaven!). The thing worked but the sound wouldn’t work and it was finicky.

Here are a couple of videos which show it working (without sound):

The project went surprisingly smooth expect the last minute hiccup. It was a blast working with Shu-Ju and I would love to do it again soon. We have ordered all the materials we need for repair so I expect the poor box to live again soon. In hindsight, we should have started fabrication a bit more early to prevent the last minute rush job and relying on a functional form because we didnt have time to think it through. Overall, I was very happy with what we had and it was a great start to ITP. Onto the finals and Happy festival season!